Xresources is a user-level configuration dotfile, typically located at ~/.Xresources.
It can be used to set X resources, which are configuration parameters for X client applications.
They can do many operations, including:
- defining terminal colours
- configuring terminal preferences
- setting DPI, antialiasing, hinting and other X font settings
- changing the Xcursor theme
- theming xscreensaver
- altering preferences on low-level X applications (xclock (xorg-xclock), xpdfAUR, rxvt-unicode, etc.)
A number of excellent Xterm alternatives are
- XFCE terminal,
- gnome-terminal, and