Log onto a linux machine or if you have a Mac open the terminal for Mac OS X.
- Launch your Telnet program.
- Verify your program settings. Choose your preferred cursor style, and make sure that terminal emulation is set correctly.
The emulation choice will appear either as vt100 or VT-100.
- Under the Connect menu, choose the Remote System menu item to open the Connect dialog box.
- In the Connect dialog box, specify the machine name you are connecting to: labs.dispersednet.com.
If you are using your own shell account, type the host name for that account. The Port: field should have Telnet selected.
- Press the Connect button to see a login screen.
- On the login screen, enter your user ID and password at the prompts (you should have received your user ID and password in Module 1).
- If you make a typing mistake, a Login incorrect message appears, and you must retype your user ID and password when prompted.
- Enter this command to change to a system startup directory containing many scripts:
- Use the
ls command to view the contents of the directory.
- Use this command to view the script that starts the system logging service when the UNIX computer is booted:
- When you have finished, type logout and press Enter. Your session ends and Telnet disconnects.